Sunday, September 26, 2010

39 weeks, and the last pregnancy update

How Far along: 39 weeks, 4 days.

Total weight gain: I still don't want to put the total number out there. Perhaps one day I will, when I start the "Loose the baby weight Challenge".

Maternity clothes: Mandatory. And I have officially reached the point of totally despising all my maternity clothes, with the exception of the t-shirts.

Sleep: Its... ok. I have graduated to the point of peeing twice a night this past week. I'm still not totally complaining though. I know people that can't make it more than 2 hrs without having to go.

Best moment this week: Making a final decision as to how to bring this little girl into the world. More on that below...

Movement: Oh yeah. And she is still really high. I just cannot figure out where she finds the room to move as much as she does.

Gender: Stubborn baby girl.

Labor signs: Nothing. No increased Braxton Hicks, no dropping, no contractions. Like I said before, she is out of my pelvis, so she has yet to engage or get low enough to cause any progress. Again, more on that below...

Belly button: Flat. I thought it was starting to stick out, but it was just the hard scar tissue from my belly button piercing that I was seeing.

Stretch Marks: Well, I didn't get out of this pregnancy unscathed. I thought I was getting a stretch mark on my side, but it was just where I had scratched myself during the night. However, I was using a mirror to look at the underside of my belly, and the light caught it just right. What do I see? Small little stretch marks. I'm really not that upset by them like I thought I would be. They are really small, and I didn't see them until the light hit them a certain way. Also, they are really low. Like, so low that no one but my husband will be able to see them, even in a bikini (If I ever get to that point again).

Cravings: A pain free day. A day free from carpal tunnel pain, pelvic pain, heartburn, UTI's, etc.

What I am looking forward to: The next step in this process.

Milestones: Being at the end, and knowing that in less than 24 hours we will be holding our little girl.

Ok, here it is.

I am having a scheduled C-section tomorrow morning at 7:30. I am slightly disappointed that I won't get to labor and have Claire the way I imagined. But with her size, there were possible complications that could arise and my doctor very strongly felt that C-section was the best and safest way for both Claire and me.

About a week ago my doctor expressed her concerns for the size of Claire. She strongly suggested that I consider a C-section, but me being the emotional hard-headed one that I am decided that even if she is approaching 9 lbs, I could do this. At my 39 week appointment she asked me what our decision was, C-section or induction. After she went through all the risks to Claire and me again, I (I say I, but Jonathan was definitely part of this decision) still decided that induction was the way we would go. I wanted to try to do it, and if it ended in C-section, at least I would know I tried.

So, it was official. Induction was scheduled to begin on Sunday (9/26/10) at 10:00 pm. My doctor said I would be having this baby on Monday, one way or the other.

Thursday rolled around, we had had more time to digest everything and we got to talking. I told Jonathan about other scary things that could happen that hadn't come up in our conversation before (If she got stuck and they couldn't manipulate her to get her out, they could have to cut me to push her back into the uterus - obviously very dangerous to us both. Then we would have to go to emergency C-section. Also, she could have neurological and nerve damage from getting stuck.)

After about 2 hours of talking, and crying, and calling my mom to talk about everything, we finally decided that a C-section carried the smallest risk to us both. Should she come out barely 8 lbs, at least we know that she is safe. We would rather err on the side of caution at this point since there is such a large gray area.

8:30 pm Thursday night I left a page for my doctor about our decision. She returned my call around 10:45 and she had already rescheduled my Sunday night induction for a Monday morning C-section.

I had really wanted a med-free birth. But after we made our decision and set everything up, I really felt at peace with everything. I mean, I'm still anxious about surgery, but I feel so less anxious about this decision, and because of that I KNOW we are making the right decision.

So, my procedure is at 7:30 tomorrow morning.

We will have our little girl at around 7:45 am on 9/27/10.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

That is amazing! I can't wait to see her! Congratulations!