This past Sunday we ran our second race with little Claire. It was the Junior League of Atlanta's Sham Rock'N Roll Road Race. We ran the 5k, and according to my watch, my time was 35:32. So yay for beating our time 2 weeks ago (I initially thought we were 30 sec ahead, but I was wrong). Unfortunately, the official time is different from my watch. They didn't have the mats at the start and finish, so your race time started at the moment the gun went off, and with 3000+ people, its very hard to get across the start line in less than a minute.
The race was fun, and a great opportunity for people watching. Since it was a St. Patrick's Day themed race, people were decked out in their green. There was everything from kilts to feather boas, headbands with shamrocks on them, and tutu's. I don't know if kilts are hard to come by (or are just too expensive), but I know for a fact some of the guys were wearing women's plaid skirts.
One of my favorite things about the race is that is was very family and dog friendly. At the same time, the dog friendly part was also my least favorite part. Before the race started, I had already rolled the stroller through a pile that had to have been left by a 100 lb + dog. I also ended up stepping in what wasn't stuck to the stroller's wheel. I also believe I stepped in some during the race. I was very happy to see people picking up their dog's droppings along the route, but as usual there are those that aren't as courteous.
Being that it was a family friendly race, there were lots of jogging strollers. I think its kinda neat to be a part of this group now. I feel a little tougher now that I'm pushing 40 lbs of stroller/carseat/baby up the hills. As usual, it is tough maneuvering at the beginning. People either aren't looking or not paying attention as they weave in and out of people, so not only do you have to be sure you aren't running into people, but you have to make sure they aren't going to run into you. I was able to finally find my pace behind someone pushing a double jogging stroller. I figured since they were wider than me, they could clear the way.
I think I am going to get one of those bell thingies that you put on bikes. I think it would be rude to use, but when some either doesn't hear me or see me coming, it think it would be good to have to let them know they are about to run into me.
I want to do this race again next year. It was easy to get to, parking was fantastic (because of Atlantic Station's huge parking decks), and there were a lot of vendors set up at the start/finish area, so there were lots of great eats at the end. Our trip to IKEA after wasn't too bad either.
(I am mad at myself for forgetting my camera and not getting any pictures)
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
3 weeks ago
2 comments:
Awesome job! That Northside Dr hill is no joke. I thought it was cool how many people were seriously racing with strollers.
Man I though I was going to miss the start of the race those lines were crazy. They definitely had less port-o-pots than last year. That's so funny you recognized me by the body-bugg!
It sounds like fun although running through dog poop, not so much!
Post a Comment