Thursday, June 9, 2011

A tasty run

I went running the other morning with Claire. Man, it's HOT out. Seriously hot. It was around 9:30 when I went, and it was already 83*. And humid. Georgia summer is definitely here, and its just going to get hotter.

While I was running, I was just looking around at all the plants. There of course is plenty of poison ivy, muscadine vines, and poke salad. I also noticed quite a few wild blackberry bushes. None of them had ripe friut on them just yet, until I pased this one raggedy bush right off the trail. It was covered in deep, dark berries. I had to have one right off the plant. On my last lap, I was down to a little less than a quarter of water left in my water bottle. So I parked Claire in the shade (and locked the wheels of course) and picked as many berries as I could get to without getting scraped up by the thorns, stuffing them into my water bottle.




In total I got about 1/2 cup of berries. After soaking in water in the fridge (to rid them of any bugs) I enjoyed them on my salad at lunchtime. There is almost nothing better than wild blackberries.


Don't you just love when your run is fruitful.




(whop whop)

2 comments:

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

mmmmm looks so good!

Null said...

Wow, you've got a few dollars worth of berries there. Those things aren't cheap. What an excellent find!

You're a champ for running outside with the stroller this time of year. It's brutal.