Friday, May 8, 2009

Migraines are evil!

I was knocked flat on my back by a migraine yesterday. So much for running 4 miles again today (which I am proud to say I accomplished this past Tuesday). It started around 11 with a spot in my vision in front of both eyes. It was as if I had just been looking directly at the sun, or other bright light. You know, how you get those dark spots for a few minutes. It started like that, then got bigger. Essentially, I had no central vision. The dark spots spread so that I couldn't read the words on my screen or on paper. Kinda freaked me out for a bit, but I remembered it has happened in the past and I knew it would eventually pass.

I just had to sit back because I couldn't see. I had peripheral vision, but that was it. 10 min later, the shadow had spread and I had tunnel vision. I could see straight ahead, but my peripheral was gone. When that dissipated, I still had a little of a shadow in my lower left field of vision and there was some small, flickering zig-zagged movement in it. All this was there even when I closed my eyes. I took my chances and looked up my symptoms on WebMD, knowing that I was very likely to freak myself out. I found the symptom of "Flickering uncolored zig-zag line in vision." I clicked on it, and the only condition associated with the symptom that it returned was Migraine. Upon reading more into it, the article said that a lot of times people experience auras in their vision usually followed by the migraine 30 minutes later.

I took two Tylenol, hoping to fend off the headache, but no dice. About 45 minutes later, the beast showed. Small at first, but by 1, I just wanted to curl in a ball. I couldn't decide if my head was going to explode or I was going to throw up. To top it off, I had chills too, probably accompanying the nausea. Fun times.

I left work at 1:30 and laid on the couch until 6, only dozing for about 30 min. I enjoyed a 4 hour Friends marathon. Woohoo! Granted I could barely hear the TV since I had to keep it at a bearable level, but I still enjoyed it. Besides, I pretty much know the shows by heart.

I still have a dull residual headache today, but not too bad. I haven't taken anything for it. I prefer not to take painkillers unless its truly unbearable, like yesterday. Sadly, I won't get my running in today either. Its Mexican with the IL's for Mother's Day, but I am really looking forward to that, so its worth it. Hopefully I can get a 4 mile run in Saturday morning before we head to my parent's house.

4 comments:

ginniet said...

Migraines suck! I hope you feel better! I found your blog through Blair's and thought I would comment because I noticed you spell your name the same way as mine which is cool because I rarely find anyone with the spelling.
~Ginnie

courtney said...

WOW! So sorry to hear about such an intense migraine. Sounds like you don't get them very frequently (thank goodness), but a prescription migraine pill can really decrease the length of your suffering. Hope it doesn't come back!

Ginnie said...

Thanks, guys. Thank goodness I don't get them often. If they became more frequent I probably would look into getting a perscription. For now, Excedrin Migraine works fine, if I catch it in time.

MyRunningJourney said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. This year will be my first Peachtree, but I train on hills, so hopefully I'll be prepared! Can't wait to follow your training!