Actually, recaps. We have ran two races since my last post. Actually, we ran a race before Claire's 6 month checkup and the post below. Oh well.
On March 26 we ran a 5k Botanical Boogie at a local park. It was a trail run, and it was so much fun. Very reminiscent of my cross country days from high school. It was two laps through woods, around a lake, and past a boy scout camp complete with tee-pees. There were also some hills that I did not know where back there. Unfortunately I was battling a chest cold. Now I know, if it's above your neck you can run, it's below then you need to sit it out. I didn't, so needless to say I was having a rough time breathing. Regardless of all that, I improved my time by almost 30 seconds. According to my watch, 35:04. That's pretty good I think. Thats running over roots, rocks, pine straw, and loose sand and gravel, with a chest cold, and some decent hills. Obviously we didn't take Claire. Even though the BOB is the smoothest ride ever, it's not great for running over rocks and roots that jut out.
On April 9 we went down to my home town for the Dogwood festival 5k road race. It was small, about 150 people, and a lot of fun. The route started in historic downtown and ran through some residential areas. The azaleas were in full bloom, as well as the dogwoods. Overall it was a very nice route that I hadn't been down in years, so it was a nice trip down memory lane. We ran past my old piano teacher's house, the daycare center I went to when I was 3-4, my best friend's old house, and the old lumber yard. I love the smell of freshly cut pine. We did really great on the run. I pushed Claire for the first half, and Jonathan took her for the rest. We did walk twice, but only after the two big hills that left me winded. Our finishing time was 32:54. Hello 2 minute improvement! I was very happy with our time. After the race we stuck around for the awards. Not expecting anything exciting for us since there are so many people in our age group, imagine our surprise when Jonathan placed third in his age group! We were shocked, and I am so proud of him, albeit a little jealous. (I'll be posting some pics a little later when I get a chance.)
I'm not sure when our next race will be. Probably a local race on Cinco de Mayo. And of course continued training toward the Peachtree. I am taking a week off from running. My left shin has been hurting in one localized spot, and like I have said before, I am terrified of getting a stress fracture again. I think if were to have to deal with that again, I would probably get depressed. I'm not being overdramatic here, running is my outlet and what keeps me sane.
I am still having issues with losing those pesky last 10 lbs of pregnancy weight. I just don't get why it's not coming off easier. I guess I need to commit to writing down everything I eat and tracking calories. I will probably be shocked to see now many empty calories I am eating. I also said the other day I don't need to eat anything that doesn't grown out of the ground. Or graze on the ground, since I'm not a vegetarian. In other words, no more processed crap. And I obviously need to watch my sweets. Oh Reese's cups, how I will miss you and your chocolatey , peanut buttery goodness. Maybe I should wait until after Easter... Just kidding. No time like the present.
2 comments:
You're doing so well! I'm throughly impressed by how fast you've returned to racing.
Congrats on your hubby's award too. That's a great picture of the two of them. The look of pure joy on both their faces is priceless.
Thanks Blondie. The encouragement means a lot to me. It's tough, but I'm pretty happy with my progress. Not the weight loss so much, but I know it will come.
Post a Comment